Saturday, November 6, 2010

So, why do you care what my husband does for a living?

It is, as Jane Austen almost said, a truth universally acknowledged, that an Expat Wife must be lucky enough to have a husband in possession of a good fortune...or be in possession of a husband with a good fortune...or have the good fortune to be in possession of a husband...or at the very least to have had possession of a husband with or even without the good fortune.
I live the expat lifestyle here in Singapore, and yes, I have a husband who is in possession of a fairly good fortune ( but hey, its never enough out here ) and I am one of the few, that band of sisters, who work outside the home.
Now this is unusual here. Very unusual. So unusual that the attempts to have a normal life in this weird fishbowl existence are laughable and sometimes downright pathetic ... so I thought, let's share the stories.
A little bit of background - I am 37, I have two teenagers, 15 and 13, ( I am a seriously young mum out here ) I have the husband ( who is actually husband no.2 and that is also unusual out here ) and I have a dog. And a JOB!! I am NOT just an expat wife....
Why oh why does it matter to random strangers at school coffee mornings, British Association meetings or other social gatherings, what my husband does for a living??? Why do I need to be categorised by his means? We are not in 1813 now... I don't really care what your husband does for a living - in fact surely it is what you do for a living that is important?
If that's working outside the home, or more traditional homemaking, great...let's talk about us not the 'hubby's' ( horrible word ).
Women out here, expat women I should say, are wives...it is a very traditional society whereby the husband does the work, earns the money and the wife and kids spend it.. we all have maids to do the housework and we just worry about getting our nails done..yawn..it is Lost in Austen, 2010 colonial style

This blog will detail the ups and downs of expat living in the 'real world' - I work with a company that provides support services for kids with SEN..I am trying to find a new house, cope with the long distance difficulties of a recently widowed mother, and bring up 2 teenagers in a world that is so full of expectation of 'rights' that being grounded is not an easy option...my husband travels a lot and I don't have a maid anymore - by choice...keeping the balls in the air is fun!
watch this space...and let's have a laugh while I expound my various trials and tribulations...

No comments:

Post a Comment