Friday, November 26, 2010

Hiding from Ironing with Julie and Julia

I am hiding from the weeks worth of ironing again. I have a rail of shirts to be ironed ( none of them mine ) and an overflowing basket of other stuff, all of it staring at me while I avoid doing it.
I have set up shop in my living room, complete with iron, ironing board, jug of water, can of beer, spare coat hangers, Julie and Julia on the DVD ( which is really good - Meryl Streep is hilarious ), they are talking about 'bathe the thighs' ( of chicken ) ... now anyone who knows me knows I love cooking and baking, but I hate ironing. One of the main reasons why I chose not to keep our maid ( I know, I know, but it's how it's done here ), was because I love to cook, and quite like cleaning, and got tired of someone else in the house doing it less well than I can! Plus I work only part time and there was just no good reason for having a maid. I have teenagers for goodness sake - they can clean their own rooms! Anyway, right now, I would have one back, just for an hour or two, to do all this wretched ironing!
I love this film...'Is anything better than butter?' asks Julie - absoloutly not! says I.
Husband is off on a boys night out, one nameless teenager is upstairs watching Rebel without A Cause - I am so proud of her discernment - how many 15 yr olds have even heard of James Dean? The other nameless teenager is getting his fill of COD before going to India on a school trip next week..and I , well, it's Friday night, so of course, I turned down those hoardes of invitations I had to join people on their nights out, because I wanted to beat down the ironing pile....oh well.
I am giving up on the ironing for now, and will settle down with my beer and the dvd and I am going to day dream about making lemon drizzle cake tomorrow.
Hey, and Julie writes a blog too, like me! Except she has followers and I don't...sigh...well, maybe tomorrow I will have one...I live in hope after all. So, if anyone is reading this, remember, life is too short to iron other people's shirts, and you can never have too much butter! Or can you - actually, yes of course you can..my ever expanding waistline is proof of that. I used to be a size 6...now I hover around 2 sizes up from that. My ever helpful husband keeps giving me meaningful glances then points out that my Davina Fit dvd is getting dusty. Men!!

No comments:

Post a Comment